So, you want to know how to stream Kodi to Chromecast? You’ve come to the right place. I Want My VPN! provides the best VPN guides on the internet. So, continue reading to learn how to enjoy Kodi Chromecast in 2018!
Before you can enjoy Kodi Chromecast, let’s talk a little bit about the issues involved.
First, we’ll look at Kodi. Next, we’ll discuss Chromecast. Finally, we’ll talk about how to stream Kodi to Chromecast and how a VPN makes this possible.
The Kodi Story
Once upon a time, the XBMC Foundation released an open-source media player that bore that organization’s name. As a matter of fact, versions up to v13 are still designated as “XMBC.” Beginning with v14, however, the player became known as Kodi. Despite the open-source nature of XBMC and Kodi, many schools and businesses block media streams that feed the application.
Kodi Media Center is a popular hardware extension of Kodi software and displays media on home theater computers. Using a remote control, users can browse and view practically every popular media format from hard drives, optical disks, local networks, and the internet.
Kodi and XMBC began in 2003 and is now recognized as a standard and dependable interface for media streaming.
What does XMBC stand for?
At first, this application was developed independently as an Xbox Media Center (XBMC) that ran on the first version of the popular gaming console. The organization that oversees Kodi is called the XBMC Foundation.
According to the XBMC Foundation:
Kodi will scan all of your media and create a personalized library complete with box covers, descriptions, and fan art. There are playlist and slideshow functions, a weather forecast feature and many audio visualizations. Once installed, your computer will become a fully functional multimedia jukebox.
Eventually, the software was ported to popular operating systems:
The core Kodi software is integrated into many smart TVs, set-top boxes, hotel TV systems, and digital signage systems. Some applications have become full-fledged commercial derivatives of Kodi.
Kodi and Xbox
Kodi no longer supports Xbox. For this reason, a development fork was created, called XBMC4Xbox. This software works much like the original XBMC but is not supported by the XMBC Foundation.
Why schools block Kodi
Although Kodi itself isn’t a threat to the global intellectual property (IP) ecosystem, several available third-party plugins have aroused copyright concerns.
Schools, businesses, public libraries, and other IP-sensitive organizations have taken measures to block Kodi streaming to protect themselves against civil and criminal liability.
Also, the XBMC Foundation has disavowed the illegal/unethical use of Kodi and has worked to implement countermeasures to known plugins.
What is Chromecast?
Google develops and sells the Chromecast device as a media streaming platform. Chromecast plugs into an HDMI input port on modern televisions and monitors.
Using Chromecast, people can wirelessly stream a variety of free and premium online content to their televisions. The device competes with set-top box products offered by Roku, Apple, and Amazon.
Google has equipped Chromecasts with the latest capabilities, including 4K & 8K HD, HEVC, and ethernet. It is a popular choice for HTPC enthusiasts.
Using Chromecast, you can stream the content of your wireless device directly to your HTPC or smart TV.
Kodi on Chromecast
You can stream Kodi content to Chromecast from Android-powered phones and tablets. To do this, two options are available: The long way (which conserves power) and the short way (rapidly drains batteries).
How to stream Kodi to Chromecast via the “long way”
1. Download the following resources:
- ES File Explorer for Android.
- Kodi for Android.
- LocalCast for Android.
- XML file PlayerFactoryCore.
2. Under “Settings” / “Display” in ES File Explorer, check the “Show hidden files” box.
3. Connect Kodi / XBMC to the Kodi App.
4. Open the “Downloads” folder in ES File Explorer. Your XML PlayerFactoryCore should be here. If you don’t see it, browse to its downloaded location.
5. Copy PlayerFactoryCore.xml and then browse to org.xbmc.kodi. If you’re using XBMC, you’ll need to look for org.xbmc.kodi.
6. Still using ES File Explorer, paste the PlayerFactoryCore file into the “userdata” folder under Files | .kodi. (or Files | .xbmc).
7. Open the Kodi app and browse to the video that you want to watch. Kodi will start LocalCast. If Android asks you which casting app to use, choose LocalCast.
8. Choose the device to which you want to stream after pressing the “Play” button.
9. Assuming you have your Chromecast installed on your TV, your stream will start after pressing “Play” again.
How to stream Kodi to Chromecast via the “short way”
1. On your Android device, open the Chromecast app.
2. Using the menu, choose “Cast screen/audio” and then follow the prompts to connect to your Chromecast device.
3. Open your Kodi app and then browse to the video that you want to play.
4. Tap “Play”
Using this method leaves the screen on your Android device on throughout the duration of your video stream.
How to stream Kodi to Chromecast using a PC
1. Download and install Chrome, the Chromecast app, and Kodi onto your computer.
2. Install the Chromecast extension on Chrome.
3. With Chrome open, choose “Cast” from your Chromecast extension.
4. On the “Cast this tab to” selection, choose “Cast entire screen.” Now your desktop should be visible on your HTPC screen.
5. Open Kodi and choose a video to watch.
How to stream Kodi to Chromecast using iOS
If you’re desperate to stream Kodi to Chromecast from your iPhone or iPad, you’ll need to daisy-chain it with an Android device.
Do this by downloading the premium version of Yates from the Google Play store.
Next, connect your iOS Kodi app on your iPhone to Yates on your Android phone.
Play the movie on your iOS devices and then stream it from your Android Phone to Chromecast using Yates.
Unblocking Kodi over school WiFi
Your school WiFi may block your Kodi stream if you’re using one of the third-party apps that give you direct access to licensed or copyrighted content.
To unblock your school WiFi for Kodi streaming, simply choose one of our recommended VPN services.
When you establish a VPN connection, you create a private tunnel through your school’s WiFi that leads to a VPN server.
In turn, your VPN server anonymously fetches the content that you want to watch and serves it to you via your private tunnel.
Although your school WiFi administrator, employer or ISP can tell that you’re using a data connection, they can’t tell what type of content you are accessing.
Need a VPN to stream Kodi over Chromecast?
I Want My VPN! publishes the best VPN reviews on the internet. Use these to guide you to the VPN that’s best for you.
- Get NordVPN’s Fall Special Deal
- NordVPN Secures Your Online Life
- Back to School VPN Deal – Keep Your Kids Safe Online
- 13 Reasons a VPN Helps Your Business
- NordVPN: Get all the benefits of VPN